4 Mar 2011

Life-Force Sucking Skate and Photo Time

Pre-visualization is a valuable technique for all types of photography and familiar to almost all photographers.  Sometimes it's all encompassing, creating the need for props, special lighting, industrial fans, hair and make-up, a tame gorilla and a trestle table. Sometimes it's just having an idea of the framing seconds before putting the viewfinder to the photographer's eye.

Galen Rowell even espouses the importance of Emotional Pre-visualization in his landscape and nature photography.  Grant Brittain sees it being thrown aside by mediocre digital photographers, "I think a lot can be learned with the slower pace of shooting film, the pre-visualization involved while shooting film, processing film and prints in a darkroom and the anticipation of getting film back from the lab".

When I "Pre-visualized" the photo of my phone that I shot at Stockwell last night, I saw the temperature reading -1ºC.  Imagine my disappointment and disgust when Accuweather gave me a very much less dramatic 2ºC.  There's no way it was that warm. Smart-phone my arse.





Armed with this new (if completely untrustworthy) information I decided that lying on the concrete floor of the park would be the perfect place to take up position for the next shot that I'd pre-visualized.  Seriously, I'm considering taking legal action against Accuweather. I could feel the life-force being sucked out of my body as I lay there waiting for Johners to come round for the weird gap ollie that he's currently in love with.

Trying to do this ollie justice with a digital compact camera was never going to be easy, but thanks to Photoshop this mediocre digital photographer managed to "sort of" do it justice.




Johners Stockwell Gap Ollie © 2011 scott madill

Next stop, the weekend.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment