13 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 13 - Clapham Common and The Jaws of Defeat.


I knew it.  I deliberately didn't mention anything about today's date in any of the emails or yesterday's post.  Did it do any good in avoiding the curse of Friday the 13th? Did it Fuck!!

Martyn had cycled from Burmondsey to come and skate this brand new park, so new the fucking thing isn't even finished,and was just as pissed off as I was when we were met by contractors still working on the park and refusing us entry to skate.


The as yet unfinished Clapham Common Skatepark.

It had to happen at some point and I think 12 days straight without any real hiccups is good going. Thank Christ there was another option open to us.  I was all set to go a bit fiery-headed about the whole situation but Martyn kindly reminded me that the paddling pool used to be the only spot in this area.  So a two minute walk over the common and we had waxed painted curbs and a tiny little D.I.Y. quarter to mess about on.  The clock was ticking.


A bit of minimalist D.I.Y.

The concrete that had been thrown up against the surrounding wall was barely skateable but I gave it a go anyway.  Mostly it was a curb session in amazing almost spring-like conditions. A good covering of leaf litter and tiny twigs made for plenty of wheel-jams which started to get  almost comical after a while, always coming just half a second before you are about to pop up onto the curb.


Martyn styles out a 50-50 at the paddling pool.
Both Martyn and i kept positive, dug deep for bit of the old Dunkirk spirit and managed to snatch victory from the Jaws of and unfinished concrete skatepark.  The word from the guys working there is that it opens this weekend, so maybe one day next week I'll actually make it happen.  For Day 13 it's still ticked, just not in the way I'd planned.  Huge thanks to Martyn for making a big effort to come and skate today.

Tomorrow is Day 14 and a return visit to Tollworth.  If you believe what people say there should be a few of us here tomorrow, from 12.00 for bout an hour and half.  If you're in the area get down there.

[LIALC]




No comments:

Post a Comment