16 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 15 - XC Park Hemel.


I've been meaning to get to this place for a while now.  And so it would seem have a few other people.  Johners, Martin and I set of in the car at around 9am and were at the park bang on 10 for the start of the 10.00-1.00pm session.  Justin was meeting us there a s he only live around the corner... lucky fucker.


We were were there for one reason.  The Pool.  And we were not disappointed.  The transitions are authentic without being completely unskatable, the surface is perfect and it's skateboards only, how sweet is that?


Not long after we'd started skating Matt and Reuben turned up and all of a sudden it was a bit of a Stockwell re-union as well as being a mini TVI reunion for Me, Justin and Martin. Skating a pool like this with people you've known and skated with for years was a bit special.  We only had to share the pool with two other guys and a couple of little rippers who must have only been 8.


The best thing about this pool is that it's not too easy to skate.  You still have to think about what your doing, maybe because we don't get to skate proper pools too often, and partly because it's got the ability to throw you off and give you a nasty surprise.  The last time I skated the pool at Saffron I was tipped off the front when I thought everything was fine, got thrown into the opposite wall and got a broken wrist for my trouble, so I was determined not to get carried away to quickly this time.



Reuben didn't seem to have any such reservations.  He was like a kid in a sweet shop, he didn't stop grinning the entire time and decided that smiths in the deep end were the way forward.  Apparently that's the only front-side grind he does, not a bad problem to have.


It will come as no surprise to you that the 3 hours of that session were 3 of the fastest hours I've ever experienced, but I was fine with it as my body was starting to send me a few messages via the universal language of pain signals. Because of how fast the time flew I didn't put a huge amount of effort into shooting photos but did remember to fire off a few before we got kicked out.






Day 15 was awesome. It's that simple. All the key ingredients for a great skate.  Thanks to everyone for coming along, I am aware the pool probably had more to do with it but, it was amazing skating that place with good mates.

Tomorrow is Day 16, the halfway point in this 31 day skate adventure. I need to mark it by going to another of my favorite spots, Meanwhile Gardens.  I'm going to aim to get there for 1.15pm, so if you want to come and help me make it over the half way mark, I'll see you there.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment